09 February 2011

Making Milagros

I have always been drawn to contemporary milagros, the kind used in decor.  I am a lover of mixed media too - paper, fabric, metal, wood, paint, ink, etc.   That whole folky genre of art makes me smile! 

Last year was my first attempt at making a milagro. 

[DSC_0003.jpg]

But this was before I understood it's roots.  Now you are probably wondering as well - what is a milagro, what is it's origin?  Milagro means "miracle" and once upon a time milagros represented wishes.  In catholicism people would wear milagros to present their needs or the needs of those they loved to the saints.  If it was a healing wish, perhaps for a hurt arm, they might wear a silver arm charm on a necklace.

Today the creation of milagros has morphed into the use of mixed media, among other things.  Below are some fabulous examples.

By Teresa McFayden:
Faithmilagros

And by Heather Bullard:

Artbliss8

Here are some other goodies I have made or picked up that remind me of milagros.

A mosaic I made last year:

[DSC_0005.jpg]

This fun accent I bought for my office/design room from Hobby Lobby:



I am so excited because I've got some friends coming over tomorrow night for a milagros party. I suppose that it is because of the popular symbol of the heart that I see in many of these gorgeous renditions that I associate milagros with Valentine's Day. Plus, Valentine was a saint. So it is fitting in my mind to include milagro making into my V-Day festivities.:)

We'll also be decorating sugar cookies and writing love notes (ooh la la) to our hubbies.  I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and share with you after the weekend!

PS - Please vote for my His and Her Valentine's swag in THIS contest!  And don't forget to eneter the $45 gift certificate giveaway to CSN stores!

3 comments:

chris said...

Ok, I've never heard of milagros before...is it a Texas thing?

Lei said...

Not that I know of! But maybe I am just a sheltered TX gal. ;)

Homeroad said...

Hi, Found you from Brown Paper Packages... great basket tip. I like your site. Have a good day!
Susan