18 February 2011

Kitchen Redone

The second room to get a facelift after our flood was the kitchen.  The kitchen/living transition area was the catch-all for much of the water from our attic.  So it had the most work done - sheet rock, paint, ceiling, etc.   I saw another opportunity for a fresh coat of paint!  And I had an hour to decide what color.  Freaked me out a little, but when it comes to paint some people (me) stew over it to the point that it never gets done.  So in a way it was good.  I went with my gut instinct and came home with 2 colors.  It was nice not having hundreds of paint samples to fret over!  In the end I chose the bolder of the 2 (does anyone else feel like they always go safe and regret it later?).  Well, "Guillermo the painter" may have been the one to finally convince me.  But I LOVE IT.   And I think everyone should have a Guillermo!

Here are the pictures of the new color AND my new table and chairs!!!


The table was $147 on closeout at IKEA.

Get out, right?

I had to have it... I'd always pictured a more modern table in my house.  Plus I needed something to counteract the dark wood cabinetry... and my house was beginning to feel too - wooden.  Does that make sense?  I love woodwork but moderation in all things, know what I'm sayin'?



Here's the black IKEA frame transformation.  Spray painted the frame glossy white, and spray painted the glass with chalkboard paint.  Easy and much improved.



Now all I want to do is stare at my kitchen.  

Is that weird?

PS - How do you like the new blog look?  I think I'm gonna stick with this one for a while. ;)

Linking up:

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up party!

13 comments:

chris said...

Very cool! I like the modern edge it gives your house too. I'll love to learn how well it holds up. Hooray for getting your house pulled back together.

Emily Love said...

I could stare at your kitchen too! What color did you use? I have been staring at my primed dining room trying to pick a color for 2 weeks and I really love the color you chose!

-Emily
www.madewithemilylove.blogspot.com

Lei said...

Emily - it's called Burlap and it's Martha Stewart. :) I had our builder's painter match it through the brand they normally use.

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Your kitchen looks great! I love the color you chose. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love it!! I love the yellow plus the modern table and chairs and the chalkboard frame. Awesome!

xxox
Jen

mpschmitt said...

Right when I opened the page I thought, I love the new look of her blog! Kitchen looks great. Love the chalkboard frame idea. That frame is sold at ikea?

Swimmingmom said...

Oops, that was me lei! Didn't realize dh hadn't signed out.

Anonymous said...

great table!

Kelsey said...

Wow I love this!

Unknown said...

What a great space. Love the contrast of the ornate frame with your modern table. And I love the wall color, too.

Unknown said...

What a great space. Love the contrast of the ornate frame with your modern table. And I love the wall color, too.

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

Love that table and chairs. I've been looking for some modern chairs to mix with my traditional kitchen set. You did a great job on that chalkboard too....very clever idea.

jandjhome said...

I love the modern table and the classic chalkboard frame. Great mix and the white is beautiful.