28 February 2011

Bottlecap Earring Tutorial, shared at She Wears Flowers!


Today I am going to show you how to make bottlecap earrings.  I've seen some pretty fun things done with bottlecaps, but my heart went pitter patter when I came across a package of them in the jewelry aisle, already drilled and fitted for necklaces, bracelets and earrings.  Since I have a pre-teen I was pretty excited to play around with them and see what I could come up with.  I started with earrings but I am sure it won't be long before she's asking me for a complete matching set!!!  Heck, it may not be long before I make myself a complete set.

Here's what I started with:



{By the way - I bought all my supplies at Hobby Lobby.  Seriously - cannot go wrong with that store - as something is always on sale!}

First I trimmed a background piece to lay inside the bottlecaps.  On this pair I used music because we're a very musical family and my daughter is currently studying the piano.


I found that using a mechanical pencil worked best for this step, so that I could really get under the lip on the bottlecap and accurately trace the size I needed around it's base.  I just extended the lead a tad more than normal to get a close tracing.  {Of course most of you are probably much more evolved crafters than I, and have the perfect size hole punch.}

Next I secured the circles with some Gorilla Glue, because I didn't want them to float up when I poured in the Dimensional Magic in the next step.


Ya know, it didn't work great.  So I tried hot glue and it did the trick.  But maybe I didn't let the Gorilla Glue dry long enough.  I am kind of an impatient crafter!  

Next step is to apply your Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.  


This stuff rocks.  It is so versatile!


Here's how it looks like when it is drying.  Kinda cloudy.  But I assure you it will dry clear and thick as glass!

Since the Dimensional Magic takes a few hours to set, you have time to play around here on your next step; there is no rush.  I broke out the glitter and some charms.



Set my charms in there first:


And in order to make sure I could direct where my glitter went, I poured it into a folded piece of paper before sprinkling it on:


That worked ok.


I wanted it to stay more finely to the edges, but they are still pretty and "magical looking" (what my daughter asked for).  

Next I am trying something a little more colorful.  Perhaps for moi. ;)


{Isn't this great scrapbook paper?!  You could go with just about any of these great colors!}


I think green glitter would be so pretty with that shade of orange.  


Or how about a rainbow assortment as a bracelet?

This is such a fun, versatile project.  You could put little pictures in there.  Maybe of your kids.  You could add words, names, initials.  



This would be perfect for my 4 year old. And it's screaming for hot pink glitter!

I love projects that you can make your own and personalize.  And I hope you all have a lot of fun with this!!!

Linking up!

mmm button

Tip Junkie handmade projects 

”topsy”topsy

3 comments:

Cath said...

I think I must go and make a pair to go with the necklace I made here http://todayalongthejourney.blogspot.com/search/label/crafts

Taiken said...

I love the bracelets you made with the bottlecaps! someday I will have to try!

Tanya said...

These are great. I have been saving bottle caps forever for misc crafting. I will have to designate some for this:)