05 May 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Arroz con Zanahorias

This is a holiday you just can't escape in Tejas!  I have such fond memories of making tissue paper flowers in elementary school in honor of this day.  And seeing performances by dancers and musicians - so colorful and festive.


One of these days I am going to sit down and make some of these flags, or Papel Picado!  They make me smile!

Today I'm going to share one of my favorite recipes, shared with me by an old college roommate (Hi Isabelle!).  It's great with burritos!!!  My family eats it about once a week, picky kids included.



ARROZ CON ZANAHORIAS

2 cups of rice
2 1/2 cups of water
carrots, shredded
2 T butter
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Season All

Shred carrots in bottom of a saucepan.  As many as 2c if you'd like!  Saute in butter, add bouillon cubes and mash into mixture.  Sprinkle some Season All in as well.  Add water and bring to a boil.  Add rice and sprinkle some more Season All (you can be pretty generous with it).  Cook as instructed on rice package.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

chris said...

Yum! I think my kids might try this...hmm.

Suzie said...

why would you ever think of avoiding all that color!

My husband will love this recipe!