27 September 2007

13 great fall looks, tastes and crafts

1. follow the dots pumpkins
2. template
pumpkin
3.
little accents
4.
pumpkin pedestals
5. etched pumpkins... you need a pumpkin patch for this one... 3 weeks before picking, clean with a solution of water + 10% bleach. etch a design, your surname, or something like "welcome" into the outer skin (only 1/32 of an inch in). continue to clean with a solution of water + 10% bleach every 2-3 days.
6.
outdoor lighting with apples
7. pumpkin pudding (allrecipes.com):

29 oz. can of pumpkin
2/3 c white sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t pumpkin pie spcie
1/2 package spice cake mix
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 c chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x13 baking dish.
Blend together sugar, eggs, evaporated milk,pumpkin, cinnamon, salt, clove and pie spice. Pour into baking dish.
Spread dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon, margarine, chopped nuts.
Bake for 60 min. or until knife comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
8. rich sweet potato souffle with praline topping (my aunt's recipe):
souffle:
4 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
1/2 c white suagr
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 (5 fluid oz.) can evaporated milk
praline topping:
1 c flour
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c chopped pecans, toasted
1/4 stick margine, melted
1/2 t ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 qt. casserole dish.
Comgine praline ingredients in small bowl, stirrign to form a streusel. Set aside.
Place potatoes in a dtch oven, add water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and let simmer 30 min. or until tender. Peel.
Mash in large bowl.
Stir in 1 c streusel, white sugar, vanilla, egg white and milk.
Sponn into casserole dish and top with remaining streusel.
Bake for 45 min.
9. oatmeal cookies (my mom's recipe):
1 c soft shortening
1 c white sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 c sifted flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
3 c rolled oats
1 c peanut butter (optional)
2 c chopped chocolate bar (optional)
Preheat over to 375. Grease cookie sheet.
Place shortening, sugars, eggs, peanut butter and vanilla in mixing bowl; beat thoroughly.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to shortening mixture. Mix thoroughly.
Stir in oats and choclate pieces.
Drop by the spoonful onto cookie sheet.
Bake 12-15 min.
10.
batty finger puppets
11.
acorn pumpkins
12.
Boo typography (how easy would this be to do yourself?)
13.
cookie cutter pumpkins

Happy Thursday Thirteen!

17 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Do you realize you are feeding my addiction? Pumpkin cheesecake - yum!

Anonymous said...

Boo Typography? Love it.

First time here. Hope you don't mind.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

http://www.mikeleonen.com/

Montserrat said...

I'm printing out the pumpkin pudding recipe right now because 1) I've been craving something like this and 2) it's my daughter's turn to cook! And she's usually better at making this kind of stuff than I am.

Lana said...

these are awesome ideas!! thanks I am going to use some for our backyard carnival.

Lisa said...

Love this! I love fall and I love fall decorations!!!

Lei said...

Welcome, Mike!

Lisa - I am glad you commented... what is the url for your blog? Your name is no longer clickable!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Can I share your recipes at Mommy What's for Dinner?

I think we are going to have some fun with this list.

Dee Light said...

Oh, thank you for the wonderful ideas!!! This time of year is such a fun time to create!!

{The Tresslers} said...

Love your blog! First time poster...long time lurker!
I saw the "boo typography" in the latest pottery barn catalog to grace my mailbox and wondered who would be silly enough to buy that when it would be so simple to do yourself!
Love this time of year & all your wonderful ideas and recipes that you shared with us!
Heather

Lee said...

Seriuolsy you are amazing. you are creative, awesome, talented, and just plain wonderful. Great ideas! Thanks a bunch. And can I be you?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

A friend of mine gave me this recipe for a pumpkin casserole thingie where you stuff all the ingredients inside of a hollowed out pumpkin and cook it like that. It makes for a very interesting presentation.

Pumpkin pie topped with Cool Whip......that's my drug of choice!

Melzie said...

We use Mr. Potato Head stuff to deco our pumpkins. :) Or paint... It's a sad, fun thing to shop for weird Potato head eyes and arms!

Yvonne said...

Lei: Thanks--what great ideas. I LOVE peanut butter, so the oatmeal cookies with peanut butter sound wonderful. Also the pumpkin pudding, yum. I've had the sweet potato souffle one and it's delicious.

Carrie said...

I love love love fall. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas! I can't wait to try some of them out! My favorite is the outdoor lighting with apples. Fabulous!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Lei-FYI your recipe for pumpkin pudding is missing the pumpkin! I checked allrecipes.com and it should be 1 29 oz can.

Lei said...

Lol Jen! I guess you are right! I'll fix it. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy you took the time and wrote this post?!?