26 April 2011

Easiest Birthday Party Ever

Now you all know how I love a good birthday party.  And I spend weeks planning and preparing for them.    Because I put so much effort into them I kind of drew the age limit for birthday parties at 12.  Between 12 and 16 my kids may invite a friend over for dinner or a movie or a concert or something like that, but the partying prep for me is over until their Sweet 16.

I have fond memories of a hotel party with one of my childhood friends.  Her mother got us a room (and stayed there with us).  We had junk food, went swimming until late, watched a movie in bed, and slept in.   It was the greatest fun ever.  So I offered to do that with my daughter for her 12th birthday this year.  Kind of a last hurrah to birthday parties.  She didn't hesitate in screaming "YES"!  And I knew it was going to be the easiest thing ever!

I made hotel reservations a couple weeks in advance.  Sent out evites with the address and a map to the hotel, so the parents would know exactly where we were.  Everyone dropped their girls off at my house at 8pm.  We got checked in around 8:30pm (I chose a hotel far enough away that it felt like a mini vacation, but close enough should there have been any emergencies).

{The room was all decorated as a surprise for the birthday girl!}



Each one of them had a goody bag laying on their pillow:




{all stuff from Target's party aisle: ice cream shaped bubbles, slinky bracelets - yes, they are back, pastry shaped erasers, cupcake stickers and a funky ring}

First up, we had pizza and cupcakes and soda.  Well, more like bites of pizza, cupcakes, and sips of soda before rushing to get out swimsuits on.  And then we went swimming until 10?  11?  After that we went back to the hotel room and finished eating, and they played Monopoly until midnight.  





{have you ever tried nothing bundt cakes?  so delish!}



{let's toast to the birthday girl! the small soda cans are so cute and perfect for parties!}

We turned off the lights at that point but they giggled and chattered for a while.  Of course.  Surely thought they would sleep in, but nope!  Had to have one more dip in the pool!  And we ate our breakfast (which I'd brought from home - donuts, juice and fruit), packed up, and went swimming until checkout time.

We arrived back at our house at 10:30 and the parents came and picked up their girls!  We had so much fun.  Definitely a splurge, but I just couldn't resist giving my daughter the same fun memory that has stayed with me all these years!!!

8 comments:

Shelah said...

I am totally doing this for Annie! What a fantastic idea!

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

Love this idea!! It sounds so fun!

chris said...

Wow. What a fun memory for all of you!

ohshootphotography said...

I can't wait to do something like this for my kids.... waiting for a little older then 2,5,&6 though! lol!! awesome ideas!!

Suzie said...

What a great idea!

Ann said...

Sounds like fun! Grown up girls should do this at least once a year!

Holly said...

Wow...this sounds like sooo much fun! I am a new follower! Can't wait to read more!

utmommy said...

What a great idea!