29 May 2007

How did I get here?


4 kids under the age of 8. One of them behind me playing her own musical composition, for pete's sake. It's much like the routine drive home; sometimes you don't think much about it. Until you've arrived. And then it's "Wait! How did I get here?!"

I am having more and more of these moments. Time is cruel to mothers. It slips away unnoticed when you are immersed in the raising of little people. There are a lot of moments you wish would stand still. Like when Sasha falls asleep at the breast. Hands down the most sacred mommy moment for me.

Time may also seem to drag on forever. There are a lot of moments you wish to fast forward through. Like potty training. Hands down the most loathed mommy duty for me! Regardless of what kind of day you are having, one feeling is constant. And that is that maybe you could make better use of the time.

Summertime is the perfect opportunity for this. All the kids are home from school. There are fewer places to be and things to do. I've come up with some really great ways to spend time with your kids this summer. And I plan to share all of them with you! Hopefully you'll need some fresh ideas... I know I could always use a few more. The nerve of these kids not being satisfied with just an inflatable pool! ;) Sigh. They're growing up.

My first idea to share came to me today as my children and I were listening to The Sundays and dancing. They love music as much as I do. And they love to move. So we have been sampling songs for our very own "Mommy and me" mix CD. I'm really excited about this, because it is music I already love AND it is kid friendly. I don't know about you, but I hate having to screen the radio for my kids every time we get in the car. I end up flipping stations a good majority of the time. Or we just listen to the classical station. But it is nice to have variety. I imagine this will come in real handy for road trips as well.

If you like this idea, I have a few suggestions to get you started:

L-o-v-e, Nat King Cole
Papa Loves Mambo, Perry Como
Shiny Happy People/Stand, REM
Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World, Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole
Anywhere Is, Enya
Upside Down, Jack Johnson
Ants Marching/Every Day, Dave Matthews Band
Thunder, Nuttin But Stringz
Advice For the Young at Heart, Tears for Fears
Hands, Jewel

I think we'll also have fun designing a CD cover... more on that and other kid friendly art projects soon.

14 comments:

The Domesticator said...

HI!
I agree, time does pass much too quickly. I am also of the thought that I love summers, when the kids are home and we don't have to be rushing off someplace. Sadly, many of my friends don't share this sentiment with me! Of course, ask me this about 2 months into summer, and I might have a different answer *LOL*

Anonymous said...

I am with ya sister the "how did I get here?" is running through my mind lately.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Thanks for the idea, and keep em coming! We are getting ready to move and a lot of it is "hurry up & wait," meanwhile the kids and I are home in a house that needs to stay fairly clean without a lot to do!

Lana said...

Sasha is lovely!!

Great idea, I can't wait to read more! Can you just send me a copy of your CD? I am musically impaired and would never pick as well as you:)

we love to swim
we have "summer school" last summer we visited different countries around the world through books, art projects and cooking. It was very fun.
for my big girls we listen to their summer reading list together while we drive and then we talk about it, they always listen while taking notes...something that doens't happen with out an assignments looming over them.

An Ordinary Mom said...

A "Mommy and Me" mix CD sounds like a lot of fun. I know of quite a few songs I could put on that.

We still have a few weeks to go until summer vacation, but I am excited for things to slow down a little. I need to make a plan of things to do so we can all get the most out of this break.

Montserrat said...

Love this idea! I hear ya on the radio station screening. I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh a lot when the girls were younger but now I can't because I have to switch it off too much when he talks about some of the issues or news that I don't think are appropriate for them to hear. I am going to use this idea for my Cool Summer Days event calendar we do every year.

Meta said...

what a great idea - i can't wait to see your cover design! you are so creative. can i send you a check for a copy of the finish product?? :) i'm serious.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That is such a great idea! And I love the list you've got started - great music!

Scribbit said...

We sing a lot but this is great. You have fabulous musical tastes you know.

Mustafa Şenalp said...

ÇOK GÜZEL BİR SİTE.

utmommy said...

What a great idea! My kids love music and dancing. I hate sensoring. This way I wouldn't have too!

Happy Summer!

Unknown said...

What a GREAT idea! Count me in.

And believe me, I'm in the midst of potty training and time is dragggggging. Though not as much as thost first colicky months with The Hurricane. :-)

The Mathews Family said...

Lei! I'm so glad I made it over to your blog. What a great idea you have here. Can't wait for you to share more of your summer ideas with us.
-Jessica

Lucy said...

I so enjoy this post. I am always balancing my desire for time to speed up (get done with residency..finally have some money and more time with husband) and my desire for my children to be young and innocent and with me. While I'm sure there will be a lot of perks with a bigger pay check and a new couch, I can't say it's an even trade off with having my boys willingly cuddle with me any time of day.

I am truly going to try to relish this summer. Can't wait to see your ideas. But, I'm more of a borrower than giver, in this case. Sorry:) Good thing you have enough to share!!