15 November 2006

"Simulation terminated, simulation terminated" ...

...many moms know which movie that line came from. Sometimes, when I hear it, I daze off into my own little lala land and dream that I get to have a trial round of parenting before facing real situations... difficult situations... like with travelling for instance (we're driving 3200 miles round trip during the holidays this year). Or going to the dentist. It would just be really nice to know how to assure the best outcome. It would save my sanity. Oh, my sanity. Where did that go? But more wisdom will come of doing things for the first time, and messing up occasionally. Even if it takes 9 plus years to feel like I might have it all under my belt.

As one of MOFs recently taught me, it's not about me right now. It's about my kids. My small sacrifice of time - what, the next 18 years out of an entire lifetime? - will be dedicated to them, and their well being.

"You don't get a vacation from being a mom." --Little People, Big World, TLC.

It's recently become very real to me... how invested I am in this thing called motherhood. I wonder when I will resume sleeping all night long. I wake at every little sound. I worry when my kids are sick and when they are healthy. I may get out of the house for a bit by myself - to go grocery shopping. But how can you get through a trip to the store without thinking about your family? On rare occasion my time away is completely indulgent - like for a haircut or a girl's night out. But the last time I had a girl's night out, I was called home just an hour later to feed a baby who was suddenly refusing the bottle. I'm not complaining; I've come to accept this. In all I do, I am a mom. I don't get time off, just like I don't get a rehearsal.

I don't think I ever felt like a housewife before I had 4 children. I've always been a "stay at home mom", but I never really felt like one. I had my regular outlets - teaching violin, performing around town, leading weight watchers meetings, designing for wedding receptions. In the last couple of years, that list has dwindled. Considerably. There is spare time here and there, but simultaneous outlets are a thing of the past. As is a house that is completely clean, every room, at the same time. So, there are times now when I feel like all I do is be a wife, mom, and keep house. I will not let it define me, however, because what you don't see in the term housewife is the tender moments between mother and child, eternal partners, and family members as a whole.

I've created my family, now it is time to raise it. Instead of teaching other children how to play an instrument, I will attend piano lessons with my daughter and support her in HER desires. Instead of performing with the symphony, I will play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star as many times as my toddler would like. And he will clap and squeal. And I will bow and accept weeds from the yard instead of freshly cut roses thrown at my feet. Instead of helping other women learn how to care for their bodies, I will care for my own and be an example to my children, teaching them how to treat their bodies as temples, helping them to respect themselves and have a srong self esteem. Instead of designing wedding receptions, I will let my little girl dream of her own big wedding some day and we will muse together about what a joyous day that will be. I will help her aspire to marrying in the temple and finding a man that is worthy of her, and my husband and I will model a strong loving relationship for our children. And I will feel both fulfilled and compensated because I'll be teaching them, shaping them, molding them.

I don't doubt that there will be a time or two over the next several years to do something fulfilling, just for me, that I love and that makes me Leilani. But when I do, I will be ever so grateful that motherhood, after all, is NOT a thankless job.

17 comments:

someone else said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful. You've captured what Motherhood is all about.

Ivey's Mom said...

Spoken like a true Mom. No matter what we do, when they grow up, we will still worry. There is no escaping now.

Anonymous said...

I just loved this post. Thank you!

utmommy said...

What a great post. I went to the chiropractor today and he told me he wanted me to stay on therapy for two hours so that I could have a "break" from motherhood. But, like you said, we don't get breaks. Instead I would be lying there wondering if everyone was okay, or what I would cook for dinner, or etc. etc.

I've been thinking about all that a lot lately too, and I'm trying to be a dedicated mother.

Anonymous said...

nicely written- I like when you said- you created your family and now it is time to take care of it- a perfect way to put it! GREAT MOMS ROCK- YOU ROCK!

Meta said...

Your thoughts need to be compiled and published. You are amazing with words.

Lana said...

thanks for sharing those lovely thoughts.

Tigersue said...

Beautiful post! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Just lovely.

Nicole said...

This post is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Nettie said...

I so agree! I love when little old ladies come up to me in the store and remind me how fast my children are growing up. I know someday I will be able to focus more on me, and then I will sorely miss this time I had to focus on raising my family. That is really what this life is all about, guiding and creating our eternal family.

Thank you for this beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

I needed to hear this. Thank you thank you thank you.

Chrissy said...

Thank you, Lei, for making me smile and shed a tear simultaneously~~that was a beautiful post. Chrissy

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this post, especially since we're sick at my house and I've been feeling the sometimes-thankless and never-get-a-break side of motherhood. It's always wonderful to have the positive reminders, too!

Dawn said...

So true and well said. And FYI - you never get over being the mom!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lei - I really needed to read that today. I appreciate it!

Kristen said...

I can hear that movie quote in my head right now!

Very beautiful post and so very, very true! I love it.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving with your beautiful family!