10 May 2009

Mother's Day


"All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."

--Abraham Lincoln

My mother is not here for me to say "Happy Mother's Day" to. While I had a difficult childhood and rocky relationship with her, I can honestly say that I owe who I am to her. Completely. And I do wish she was here so that I could thank her. There are some things that you just don't "get" until you are a mother yourself. Your eyes are opened in so many ways. And I am grateful for the sacrifices she made for me, and the ways in which she encouraged me to grow and reach for higher things.

I also wanted to repost my sentiments to all you mothers from a post dated back a couple years:

If I had to describe motherhood in one word, it would be humbling. Lying naked on a table and pushing a baby out in front of complete strangers. Missing your shower or rushing around without noticing you have peanut butter on your face. Having your child repeat something embarassing you said when you were certain they were out of earshot. Having to ask for help or admit that you are overwhelmed while everyone else seems to be handling it just fine. Forgetting something important. Realizing it's not about you. Giving something up. Learning from your children. Having their best interest at heart. Fighting for them. Accepting the bitter and less frequently sweet days.

So, here's to mothers... humble, modest, selfless, real, virtuous, forbearing, patient mothers that sacrifice a bit of themselves every day.

Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Leilani. You are such a great mother and I still look to you as an example of a wonderful mother. - Sarah

Yvonne said...

Humbling is THE PERFECT WORD.

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.